   RE: [xml-dev] Parse Error - Invalid Character

Thanks for the help Tom.

Indeed the problem seems to be a limitations of IXMLHttpRequest class (i
think that is what it is called).  This class *blindly* (see MSDN article
below) encodes the responseText as UTF-8.  The source of the XML (that I am
querying) is originaly encoded as ISO-8859-1.
I'm not sure on how all this encoding takes place, and how one encoding
effects another, but I'm getting hung up for sure.

One other thing to mention is:  the original data (before the XML) was
submitted by a user *damn users*.  I have determined that she/he included
the unicode for "TM".  Here is an outline of my current problem then:

1.  original data submitted - unicode "TM" submitted as part of data
2.  server side XML generated and encoded as ISO-8859-1
3.  ixmlhttprequest made for XML data - which is *blindly* downloaded and
encoded as UTF-8
4.  MSXML3 chokes when attempting to load xml, error is "Invalid
characters..."

Thanks for the help!

Karl

MSDN Article: How to Encode XML Data