   Re: [xml-dev] Ann: Schemachine (a pipelined Xml validationframework)

Hi Rick,

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 16:54, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> The approach can be found at
>   http://www.topologi.com/public/Schemachine.pdf

Great!

> Like Eric's, this is a private initiative to stimulate discussion, explore some concrete
> approaches, clarify requirements and perhaps flush out some different approaches.
>
> The Schemachine approach will be very familiar if you have already familar
> with the XML Pipes or XML Pipelines material, or Xerces XNI or Cocoon
> sitemaps. (It is also related to the Connect little language[1] I used for the
> Screamathon Torture Tests for Schematron.)  For that reason, I have not
> offered an implementation to prove its implementability.  (I believe it could
> even be implemented by transformation into a shell script.)

That makes sense. The reason why I have wanted to include an
implementation is because embedding pipes within schemas is AFAIK new
and potentially controversial and I wanted to be sure that it could work
before mentioning it.

That being said, I think that xvif could be defined as a subset of your
Schemachine (or that the Schemachine could be defined using xvif).

Xvif is really only 3 basic and generic elements (pipe, transform and
validate). This is clearly not enough for a standalone language and xvif
relies on the hosting language to setup the context nodes and choose
between alternatives for instance.

I have mentioned in a previous mail how xvif could be embedded into XSLT
or Ant. I see no reason why xvif (with potential additions such as
parameters) could be not considered as the core vocabulary for the
Schemachine which would add what's missing to xvif to be used as a
standalone language.

Even though their current syntaxes are different, I am confident that
the semantic of the 3 elements composing xvif is generic enough to be
used as building blocks surrounded by Schemachine bells and whistles :-)

Eric
--
See you in San Diego.
                               http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/