   RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG Projects

At 02:33 PM 6/21/2002 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Is that wise?  IMO, XML Schema should be taught to students
>who are about to enter a world where a healthy percentage
>of what they will be asked to code will be in relational
>or object-oriented databases, and where the tool support
>for XML Schemas is already in place and advanced.  At least
>make them aware of what is out there with some overviews
>of all the options (RNG, XSD, DTD, Schematron, minimum).
>This is too much like teaching DOM without teaching SAX.
>Errors of design judgement result.

Right.  And they should also be taught the value of all-out business
battles, how to follow crowds unthinkingly, and the value of using whatever
happens to be handed to them at the time.

I applaud David for teaching students a schema form which might encourage
them to focus on the basics of information structure development before
throwing them into an approach which offers a deluge of features manageable
primarily through tools which separate them from the information.

Teaching DOM without teaching SAX seems infinitely more appropriate by
contrast.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue