   RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG Projects

RELAX is a good compromise.  On the other hand,
well... enough said about that hand.... urrggg,
just a little off and we would have been into
a shoot out!  RATS!

As soon as we said "well-formed", we opened the
door to multiple schema application languages, and
unless we really blow it, pluggable datatypes.
As I write this, I am sitting here writing a
Visual Foxpro application that creates a database
of metadata for our application db schema.  It
kicks out HTML on one button, and soon, a query
generator source on the other.   Multiple database
backends and multiple slightly different datatypes
that have to be mapped back and forth are pretty
much a feature of the real world and we handle
them without too much effort.   I don't see
why having multiple XML schema application languages
is such a big deal for some.

I fully understand anyone being unhappy about there
being only one annointed for that.  Web architecture
is not a mandate to flatten out all computer systems
and information science into one URIzed fair haired
favorite.  Consortia be advised; best practice and
one sized fits all have a mighty chasm between them.

len

From: John Cowan [mailto:jcowan@reutershealth.com]

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" scripsit:

> Is that wise?  IMO, XML Schema should be taught to students
> who are about to enter a world where a healthy percentage
> of what they will be asked to code will be in relational
> or object-oriented databases, and where the tool support
> for XML Schemas is already in place and advanced.

People used to say that about teaching Basic.  Schools went
overboard and taught Pascal instead.  Java is a good compromise.

So is RELAX NG.