   RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG Projects

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Is that wise?  IMO, XML Schema should be taught to students
> who are about to enter a world where a healthy percentage
> of what they will be asked to code will be in relational
> or object-oriented databases, and where the tool support
> for XML Schemas is already in place and advanced.  At least
> make them aware of what is out there with some overviews
> of all the options (RNG, XSD, DTD, Schematron, minimum).
> This is too much like teaching DOM without teaching SAX.
> Errors of design judgement result.

Yes, the ubiquity of Schema did make the decision harder, but
I ultimately decided that Relax NG has less "noise factor" - the
power of expression of any particular construct at the beginner
level is equal to that of Schema, and the expression is much more
direct.

By the way, I am planning a course on Dynamic HTML, and will be teaching
people to manipulate a page via the DOM using JavaScript. I won't mention
SAX at all. The browser may be using SAX to parse the XHTML and build the
document tree, but, in the context of that course, it's not essential
knowledge for the students.

--
J. David Eisenberg  http://catcode.com/