   [off-topic] Re: Relax NG Projects

From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com>

> Can someone please explain the verb "to whiteant" so someone who is not
> a native speaker of the American language?

Sorry, I see the dictionary labels it "colloquial".  I am not British nor American.
To "white-ant" is to subvert or undermine from within (an organisation or enterprise).

A very useful for word for conspiracy theories. Someone who white-ants is not
a white-ant but  a white-anter, b.t.w. Examples below.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

See

* http://members.ozemail.com.au/~natinfo/demise3.htm

"By the 1960s it was becoming obvious that the long-held institution of the White Australia Policy was under serious attack. A new generation of liberalistic middle-class people had begun to join the ALP, and had commenced to white-ant its support for the Policy."

* http://members.ozemail.com.au/~natinfo/demise3.htm
Do you know that Senator Gareth Evans himself said, You don't abolish the Senate by doing it up-front, you white-ant it from within?

* http://www.cis.org.au/IssueAnalysis/IA1.htm
"Governments which undermine private property rights typically white-ant personal freedom"

* There is a particularly full desciption in
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~natinfo/polcop3.htm
which is quite funny in its way (lest people think my country is full of either
conspiracy loons or white-anters, we recently had an account of a far-right
group with  members, three of whom turned out to be agents for different
police or intelligence agencies. Perhaps they were white-anting the white-anters :-)

"How to Combat the Political Police --
Understanding the Role of Intelligence Agencies in the "Legal" and Illegal Harassment
of Nationalist Movements (And How to Implement Counter-Measures)"
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~natinfo/polcop3.htm

I particularly like "We are completely vulnerable because they identify our primary weakness, the need to earn a living. " and "When it is humanly possible the white-ants can usually find some beautiful young female who has great secretarial skills; a word processor, a photocopier, and lots of spare time to devote to the party. This is just a fortunate coincidence." and the sudden lurch into the particular "The plants spread a rumour that my friend S... had been sacked from St... Catholic school for paedophile activities."