   RE: [xml-dev] DTDs, W3C Schemas, RELAX NG, Schematron?

Thanks for the clarification. This seems reasonable.

>  > I've found that the most important difference between RNG and XML
> > Schemas is wrt the underlying type model.
> >
> > Specifically, XML Schema uses named types to implicitly convey
intention
> > as well as structure (a la Java, C++, C#). Anonymous types are 2nd
class
> > citizens in XML Schema (they're type-equivalent with nothing).
> >
> > Relax NG has a much looser model (a la Perl) in which two things are
> > compatible if they share structure independent of a common, named
type
> > definition.
> >
> > Each approach appeals to its own community of users in very deep
ways.

> I agree that the emphasis on named typing in W3C XML Schema is a
profound
> difference from RNG.  One interesting question is whether it would be
> possible to build a schema language that supports named typing yet
still
> has
> (at least most of) the simplicity and power of RNG.

I had this thought myself recently, but frankly, I think lack of named
typing is RNG's primary attraction for most people.

> However, I still have
> my doubts that named typing is appropriate for XML.  I would speculate
> that
> named typing is part of what makes use of DCOM and CORBA lead to the
kind
> of
> relatively tight coupling that is exactly what I thought we were all
> trying
> to avoid by moving to XML.

I admit that it's a very weird dynamic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even with RNG, equivalence still relies on
common element names unless wildcards are used everywhere, no?

DB