   RE: [xml-dev] DTDs, W3C Schemas, RELAX NG, Schematron?

Fundamentally I agree.  But this comes down to
what do we mean by "system" and "system scope".
If we want seamless interoperability of a given
system with another given system, value type
standards are very sucessful.  But the ubiquity
of such?  I seldom encounter such if ever.

In our local systems, we have to support three
database backends.  For these, we map the value
space datatypes in code and in the data dictionary
(where the DD is really a document).  ODBC layers
take care of some of this and careful decoupling
in the client does some of this.  We choose what
we will support based on issues other than standards
or authority.  Typically, price and performance are
the first razors.  Oracle is a wonderful performer
but SQL Server is an adequate performer at a much
better price break.  So if a value space standard
conflicted with that, we would ignore it. We would
have to.  It is the hard reality of competitive
procurement that having the best system at the
highest bid is *usually* a loser.

So it comes down to the scope of the interoperating
system vs the freedom of choice in implementation of
any local system that must interoperate with all of
the other "local systems".   This is the dilemma that
finally forced the W3C to buy into SGML On The Web.
It loosened the definition of system and strengthened
the power of "locale".

It is why I say "there ain't no web; just parts
and assemblies".  Usually when someone disputes that
assertion, the arguments come down to locus of
authority to define scope for a system, and typically,
they mean "all of the sharable information space as
declared in URIs and governed by the W3C".

It ain't happening.  That definition is screwed for
all practical purposes by the requirements on the local
implementor.   They might want to ramp back to
something more workable and less ambitious.

Pluggable types with a non-normative primitive set
seems to be what is best and moreorless how we
do business in other application domains.  As John
said, the TAO of RNG.  Regardless of authority, that
gives it an ecosystem survival edge.

len

From: W. E. Perry [mailto:wperry@fiduciary.com]

IMH (and oft-stated) opinion, we lose the very promise of XML. The number of
correspondents and counterparties with whom we might exchange documents and
perhaps execute transactions is vastly greater if the only required
preconditions are lexical--i.e., the syntax of well formed XML. Granted,
because we lack prior agreements in 'value space' on which to understand
those interchanges and predicate those transactions, it will be necessary
(and often long and painful) for us to build up with lexical tools the
minimal one-to-one understandings we need to give each of those interactions
its necessary meaning. The point is that it can be done, however distasteful
the process for doing it anew with each new correspondent might seem to
those who would rather short-circuit the effort by limiting their
interactions to those who will accept a priori their definitions of 'value
space'.

I have spent more than twenty years working with applications built on RDBMs
and relational wannabes. They are great and useful tools, but only in an
homogenous enterprise network where the processing nodes have intimate
(white box) knowledge of each others' processing and base their
interoperability on working against identical data structures. Those are
precisely not the conditions of the internetwork topology. If we want to
extend the possibility of interoperability to every potential internetwork
participant, we cannot begin by first constraining to universe of those to
whom we will talk to only those who are willing to accept a priori our own
peculiar and limited renditions of value space.