   RE: [xml-dev] Intuition and XML Schema restriction (was: XML Schema to r

> So true. Type derivation involving anonymous types is another example
> where the derivation looks fine but is in fact incorrect.

And the funny thing is, I would have sworn that 6 mos. ago most validators
handled restrictions of anonymous types just fine.  Maybe I'm
misremembering. I know that XML Spy 4.3  doesn't complain.

I still don't  know which validators can now correctly determine value space
subsets from pattern expressions, though (it may be a terrifically hard
problem to solve for all cases).  I can do a quick check (incorrectly
restricting pattern "[a-m]*" to "[a-z]*") with the three validators I have
here (all probably out of date by now):

XSV 1.203.2.37:  Nope, doesn't catch it.

SchemaQualityChecker version 2.0:  Nope.

XML Spy 4.3: Nada.

Anybody want to try the following with Xerces or MSXML?:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
xmlns:qux="http://www.example.com/foobar";
targetNamespace="http://www.example.com/foobar";
elementFormDefault="qualified"  attributeFormDefault="unqualified">

	<xs:simpleType name="name_t">
		<xs:restriction base="xs:string">
			<xs:pattern value="[a-m]*"/>
		</xs:restriction>
	</xs:simpleType>

	<xs:complexType name="foo">
		<xs:sequence>
			<xs:element name="firstName" type="qux:name_t"/>
		</xs:sequence>
	</xs:complexType>

	<xs:complexType name="bar">
		<xs:complexContent>