   Objects vs. XML aka LISP and How History Repeats Itself

I thought this may be of interest to XML-DEVers

1.) Came across this link over the weekend to an
article entitled "Objects vs. XML":

http://www.sellsbrothers.com/spout/#objectvxml

Excerpt: The result of this massive gap between XML
and OO folks is that the great thing that the XML guys
are building, i.e. a general-purpose hierarchical data
manipulation, transformation and interoperation
infrastructure, something that OO guys desperately
need, is being lost because the two groups don't know
how to communicate with each other.

2.) My PERSONAL OPINION on the article:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/23/161833/655

Excerpt: The problem with thinking that XML related
technologies can solve the problems that relational
and object oriented systems currently solve is that it
isn't clear cut that the current crop of XML
technologies solve XML-related problems properly

3.) Response to my op-ed on the article:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2002/6/23/161833/655?pid=8#15

Excerpt: Such a system "general-purpose hierarchical
data manipulation, transformation and interoperation
infrastructure" already exists and has existed for
fifty years. It's called LISP, and somebody once said
that all programming languages converge on LISP at
some point. They don't start there because, well, the
two groups don't know how to communicate with each
other.

4.) Characteristic insight from Mike Champion over
email (no link)

Excerpt: I think this IS the basic point
of cleavage -- is XML just serialized objects, or are
objects just bits of glue in an XML pipeline.  Neither
is "right", any more than
it is "right" to say that light is a wave not a
particle (or vice
versa).  Still, it will be hard to avoid religious
wars over the issue,
as there are indeed zealots who see XML as some Theory
of Everything.

Obligatory DISCLAIMER: This email reflects my opinions
and does not necessarily reflect the opinions, plans,
intentions or strategies of my employer. Note the
usage of a personal email address to send this mail.

=====
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #79
If my doomsday device happens to come with a reverse switch, as soon as it has been employed it will be melted down and made into limited-edition commemorative coins.