   Re: [xml-dev] Re: English sentences, was: Re: [xml-dev] Announce: XML Sc

From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@attbi.com>

> Actually this _is_ the original point, isn't it?

No, the original point is the use-case where there is no dispute about
what characters are used.  The user can toss coins to decide, we
have no more interest in their particular ranges than we care about
their particular content models.

All the rest of the discussion has been a red herring, and I have seen
that fish before. Basically it comes down to a denial of the use case.

The user has a list of characters that they expect or want to specify
can be use for Dutch (or easy Chinese).  It is the exceptions that
they want to catch.   This is not an issue of language recognition,
nor of attempting to standardize or characterize a language, nor
of preventing people using all of Unicode if they want.  It
is an issue of a publisher being able to check the characters being used in
a document to make sure that the document will process correctly,
and of being able to declare in a way that programmers can tell
which characters are being used.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe