   Re: [xml-dev] Saving a DOM Tree that's in IE

[Kimberly Hahn]

> If you use a text area, then I'd suggest posting it in a form and taking
the
> value of that text area on the server.  That gets around the innerhtml
> issues.  But posting using the XMLHTTP object is probably your best bet.
>
> The only items that innerhtml does not put quotes around are standard
> attributes, custom attributes of tags that are not recognized by IE will
> return with quotes around the attribute values.  At least for IE 5 and
> higher.  Replacing these can be a pain since IE 5, 5.5 and 6.0 all put
some
> attributes in a different order in the innerhtml.

You can also use msxml's serializer (it does have one, I believe, though I
have never used it) or write your own serializer to output the xml for
plopping into the textarea.  If you know you will always be dealing with a
certain subset of xml, it probably will not be too hard to write a
javascript serializer.  No need for innerHTML.

Cheers,

Tom P