   Re: [xml-dev] Partial validation in RelaxNG?

> A short question about RelaxNG: is it possible to have partial validation?

Yes.

> I mean something like:
>
> <element name="whatever">
>   <any/>  <!-- any well-formed XML markup -->
> </element>
>
> I've searched through the spec and tutorial, but can't find anything about
> this.

It's covered by section 11 of the tutorial.

In RELAX NG, you specify the element name and content separately,
regardless of whether the name is specified as a single name or an infinite
class of names.  To write a pattern that matches an element of any name
with any attributes and any children, you have to spell it out explicitly
with a recursive pattern. For example, if you want whatever to contain an
arbitrary single well-formed XML element, you could write:

start = element whatever { any }
any = element * { attribute * { text }*, (any|text)* }

James