	Von: MAISONNY Benoit
	Gesendet: Fr 28.06.2002 14:08
	An: 'www-html@w3.org'; 'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'
	Betreff: [xml-dev] XHTML modularisation causes strange error
with MSXML

	Hello,

	I wrote a DTD for a type of aeronautical document, using XHTML
	Modularisation. This worked fine until I tried to validate the
DTD and
	sample documents with MSXML4 SP1 (and earlier). Needless to say
they
	validate with Xerces and ElCel's xmlvalid (and even with XMLSpy,
after
	adding a space into empty parameter entities).

	I found some messages on xml-dev[1] and www-html[2] related to
MSXML in the
	context of XHTML m12n and 1.1, but I can't find any
solution/workaround for
	the following error message (output by xmlint.exe, Microsoft's
validator):

	    A name was started with an invalid character.
	    Line 00001: &&
	    Pos  00002: -^

	As you can expect, that file begins with <?xml ... and not with
&& or
	whatever.

	A page[3] on microsoft.com explains this can be caused by
encoding issues,
	but it is not my case: I checked the files at byte level to be
sure (they
	are UTF-8). It doesn't seem to be an OS issue neither (same on
NT4 & win98).

	I suppose it's a bug in MSXML and I won't wait for MS to correct
it for me
	:-)
	So my question is rather: what causes this error? Is there a
workaround? (I
	am not against a small change in the DTD that would magically
please MSXML.)
	Should I give up XHTML m12n and instead adapt XHTML 1.0
extensively to suit
	my needs? (not that I want to!)

	Thanks for any help and sorry for cross-posting,
	Benoit

	[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200106/msg00502.html
	[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2002May/0036.html
	[3]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwebte
am/h
	tml/webteam08062001.asp

	Benoit MAISONNY
benoit.maisonny@eurocontrol.int
	eAIP development & support
http://www.eurocontrol.int/ais/ahead/eaip
	EUROCONTROL                        Aeronautical Information
Management