   RE: [xml-dev] Error in XHTML Modularisation Recommendation? (was: RE: [x

From: Rick Jelliffe [mailto:ricko@allette.com.au]
> From: "MAISONNY Benoit" <Benoit.MAISONNY@eurocontrol.int>
>
> > So: that post explains the situation for the entity "lt",
> which seems to be
> > bogus indeed in the XHTML Modularisation Specification (I
> would like to know
> > the HTML gurus' opinion on this one). My (very similar)
> problem was in fact
> > with the "amp" entity, but of course the lt one popped up
> right after.
>
> > Solution: I simply redeclared lt and amp in my "driver"
> file like this:
> > <!ENTITY lt "&#38;#60;">
> > <!ENTITY amp "&#38;#38;">
> > That was enough for MSXML to accept my modularised DTD.
>
> Those definitions are the ones recommended  in the XML spec.

Rick is right. Here is the link that he quotes below:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-predefined-ent

So it is clear what XML 1.0 says. I understand that:
<!ENTITY lt "&#60;"> is correct (single escaping)
<!ENTITY lt "&#38;#60;"> is correct (double escaping)

XHTML 1.0 defines these "special entities" correctly, as per XML 1.0.
But XHTML Modularisation modifies them:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/dtd_module_defs.html#a_module_XHTM
L_Special_Characters

In fact, <!ENTITY lt "&#38;&#60;"> is correct as well, but is not what is
intended by &lt;
It is replaced by &< in a document.
Am I wrong to say that this shouldn't generate a validation error? After
all, it is the same as "&amp;&lt;" in a XHTML 1.0 document, for instance.

I quote the comment from xhtml-special.ent:
"Revisions:
2000-10-28: added &apos; and altered XML Predefined Entities for
compatibility"

Many parsers don't like this revision, as I reported earlier.

Benoit