   Re: [xml-dev] Non-xml syntax for WXS

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Paul Prescod wrote:

> "J. David Eisenberg" wrote:

> > Having a non-XML syntax does make teaching easier in many respects.  I
> > found when teaching a beginning XML class that they had less trouble
> > understanding DTDs than Relax because DTDs don't look like XML.
>
> Argh. That's exactly what we predicted when "Schemas in XML syntax" was
> the rage. They claimed it would be so much easier to teach because the
> students wouldn't have to learn "another syntax." Others argued it would
> just confuse people with the similarity!

Of course there's another factor - this was my first time teaching the
course, and I may not have made the difference explicit enough in my
lecture notes or lecture.

At least this quarter it will give me a chance to tell one of my favorite
jokes as a way of introducting the topic:

   This guy goes into a restaurant in the midwest and sees
   'Bagel and Lox' on  the menu.  He's never heard of it before,
   so he tries it and really likes it.  He comes in every morning
   for two weeks and orders bagel and lox.  As he pays the
   bill one morning, he asks the waitress, "There's something I
   just have to know. Which one's the bagel and which one's the lox?"

--
J. David Eisenberg  http://catcode.com/