   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

> Fair enough. I don't really smell conspiracy here. I hope that it will not
> be technically or politically impossible for vendors to use RELAX NG
> provided that RELAX NG does the right thing wrt type assignment.

Even if XQuery (and XSLT2/XPath2) accept PSVI constructed by means other
than W3C Schema as input documents, the drafts currently have strong
bias towards W3C Schema in that the validate expression requires (at my
reading at least) a W3C schema and similarly the types statically known
to the query are specified by schema import which again has to be
W3C schema, I think.

If validate was a normal function you'd at least be able to mirror the
functionality by having a relax:validate-and-type-annotate() extension
function to use other schema languages but validate (for some reason)
isn't a function: it forms one of the core syntax productions of the
language.

David