   RE: [xml-dev] "In hot summer have I great rejoicing/When the tempests ki

The main point made appears to be that allowing/encouraging the use of XML
in areas where other tools might suffice should be deprecated, as it will
somehow water down XML into something that will have little value. This is
backed by the suggestion that it is being adopted by people who previously
worked with rigid design principles, who are reaping the rewards of XML's
looseness but will change it into an image of the systems they left behind.

In my last response I only wanted to suggest that at least one of the
arguments used (that CSV is just as good as XML for working with relational
& OO data) was flawed, because it failed to take into account the fact that
tools and interop are already widely in place for XML, whereas they only
exist in a narrow range for CSV. Viewing XML merely as a text processing
system can also be seen as blinkering the terms of reference, which doesn't
add much to the debate.

On to the main point above :
This seems an extraordinarily paranoid position to take. Interop and tools
are implicit in the design goals of XML, so on these terms I'm not sure what
kind of damage might be done by people looking for these characteristics.

The contrast is made between the 'byzantine' WXS and the 'more appropriate'
RELAX NG. More appropriate for whom? Like the perceived enemy here, if we
don't like a WXS then we can go off and create a RELAX NG. No need to tilt
at windmills.

The XML community shouldn't go out of its way to be accomodating? If it was
clear where the line around the community were drawn then this might make
more sense. I don't think taking such an adversarial position would do
anyone any good in any case (hey, let's change all the acronyms while
they're not looking...).

I certainly agree that it's worth being vocal when potentially problematic
things start heading towards standards. It's a different matter when things
we just don't like the look of come near. Characterising all these entities
as alien, and viewing their bearers as some kind of opposing army strikes me
as absurd. The question shouldn't be 'friend or foe?' rather 'will it break
stuff?'.

The specific danger referred to is XML being twisted into a tightly coupled,
top-down structured system. I don't think there's much likelihood of tight
coupling being accepted as standard, simply because it wouldn't work on the
internet. I'm not sure there's any conflict between XML and top-down
structures (or anything inherently bad about them, for that matter).

I would think that building a wall around 'shoeless' XML might risk
fragmenting the standards unneccesarily, and even if it didn't, sweeping
rejections are certainly likely to lose some babies with the bathwater.
Community is one thing, exclusivity another.

At fear of being accused of bantering quiddities -

"Any technology that is pressed into being all things to all people will
soon evanesce into nothing useful for anyone."

Yep, fire and the wheel are soooo passe...

Cheers,
Danny.

---
Danny Ayers