   Re: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

[Mike Champion]

<jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com> wrote:

> >And if you use the static typing, this error will not occur.
>
> If you use static typing throughout your organization, with a standard
> infrastructure so that the types mean exactly the same thing, and you
> impose the same on your entire supply chain and customer base, THEN
> this error will not occur.  No disagreement from me!
>
> There would, however,  be no need for XML in that environment :~)

And it's not necessarily so easy to arrange standard datatyping anyway - see

"AND WHERE DO XML TAGS COME FROM?"
By Mike Gorman -

http://www.tdan.com/i021hy02.htm

This is a discussion of naming and typing principles for enterprise data,
and who should do the naming.  He identifies two approaches -

1) The IT managers attempt to standardise the data

    "then the ... Information Technology System managers are
    100% in charge of the XML Tags, and also in charge of all
    value sets where the value sets are restricted.

    These XML tags then are then imposed on all creators of
    the Information Technology system so that every data exchange
    must extract and transform the "raw data" into the XML Tagged sets."

2) A Datacentric approach -

    "All the data in all the Information Technology systems are
    to have their names and their restricted value sets defined and
    managed by the highest level functional experts in the enterprise...

    Thus, by pushing to the responsibility and authority for XML
    tags to enterprise-level subject matter expert, you are explicitly
    removing XML tag development authority from the designers
    and builders of information systems that may employ data from
    multiple functional domains. This would have the consequence
    of having the same tags across information systems regardless
    of whether those information systems currently were exchanging data.

    These XML tags then are automatically created by
    application programs that are processed through SQL:2003
    DBMSs that conform to the soon to be finished and ratified
    SQL/XML Part 14 that is under very intense implementations
    by the current set of SQL vendors (read: IBM, Oracle,
    Sybase, and Microsoft)."

Gorman strongly supports the datacentric approach.  I imagine that Len will
have something to say here...

Cheers,

Tom P