   Re: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

At 3:55 PM -0400 7/6/02, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>That's not layering, that's deciding that data is not typed unless I
>require explicit casts, convert it to Java or relational data, or
>whatever. And that makes many simple examples come out wrong, eg:
>
>   let $x := <foo xsi:type="decimal">39.42</foo>
>   let $y := <foo xsi:type="decimal>147.23</foo>
>   return
>         if ($x < $y)
>              then "x is less"
>              else "y is less"
>
>Your approach would mean that the above query would return "y is
>less". Trust me, many users of XQuery would not like that.

No it wouldn't, at least not with any reasonable less than operator.
Such an operator should either convert its arguments to numbers or
fail with a syntax error or perhaps an exception. If you're using a
numeric operator to do string comparisons or document order
comparisons or something like that, then that's the mistake, not the
absence of explicit typing.