   Re: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

[Jonathan Robie]

> >At 03:43 PM 7/6/2002 -0400, Thomas B. Passin wrote:

> >>...Going along with this, if you needed, say, XPath for Ruby or Curl,
you could
> >>imagine writing it if no one else got around to doing it.  In this lies
> >>great sense of freedom.  You could do it yourself, and especially you
could
> >>do it without needing the products of big companies.
>
> As soon as you need a programming language, this starts to fall down. I
> wouldn't want to write my own Java and JVM, or my own C++ compiler. I
could
> imagine doing it myself, given infinite time, but my imagination sometimes
> runs wild.

Exactly, and what you say supports my point here - since xml looked like
something you could do yourself, people like me who would never consider
trying to build a major language compiler got very interested.

> Yes, I agree that this is a good explanation for the fear. Yet, I don't
> think this fear is well placed. Programming languages and query languages
> are very helpful, even if they are not easily implemented by the average
> developer.

I agree, but remember I was addressing perception and emotion, not rational
explications.  After all, those (supposedly easy) xml parsers have to be
written in some programming language and make use of a compiler or
interpreter.

Cheers,

Tom P