   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer and XML Schema

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 01:01, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> You can have ambiguity and indirection even with DTDs (XML Catalogs can
> map public id to system id for example, and the actual DTD that gets
> processed might be different on different systems because of different
> DTD versions etc., especially if the public ID does not contain a
> version number), so the difference to schemas is not that great in this
> respect.

I think that this is still different in that XML Catalogs are a special
adaptation of the processing environment designed to workaround a
flexibility of DTD references by potentially changing the resulting
infoset. They are not unlike a SAX filter which you would add and would
remove or change elements or attributes and could, of course affect
fragment IDs.

Here, we give the possibility to define the following document:

foo.xml:
<foo id="ID">
<bar id="ID"/>
<baz id="ID"/>
</foo>

and write "foo.xml#ID" leaving each application use whatever schema it
likes to identify what's the fragment named "ID".

I think that this is the same type of issue but with a different
magnitude!

Eric

--
See you in San Diego.