   RE: [xml-dev] Question for the XPath and DOM folks

-----Original Message-----
From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]
Sent: Sat 7/20/2002 1:04 PM
To: Garland foster
Cc: Dare Obasanjo; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Question for the XPath and DOM folks

>Than there can only be one answer to Dare's question, which is what I gave.

Let's explore your answer then. So if I have a W3C XML Document Object Model (DOM) implementation containing the XML

 <foo> bar <![CDATA[ baz ]]> quux </foo>

and query it with the following XPath

//text()

I should get back a single text node containing "bar baz quux". So a few questions from an application programmer

1.) Is this text node a DOM text node or some DOM incompatible XPath node?

2.) Does this node  have a parent? If so is its parent a DOM node? If so who are its children and is the returned node one of its children?

Based on your answers to these questions I may have one or two more.

http://uche.ogbuji.net <http://uche.ogbuji.net>     http://4Suite.org <http://4Suite.org>     http://fourthought.com <http://fourthought.com>
Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/ <http://www.xmlconference.com/>
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393 <http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393>
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li <http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li>