   Re: [xml-dev] Question for the XPath and DOM folks

Implementation-dependent.  I can tell you what our implementation does: the
single returned text node is what we call a "Domlette".  It is very similar to
DOM, but it is not quite DOM.  I think, but I'm not sure, that you can create
a Domlette from a 4DOM node (4DOm is full DOM L2) bu importing it into a
Domlette implementation.

> 2.) Does this node  have a parent? If so is its parent a DOM node? If so who are its children and is the returned node one of its children?

In 4XPath, this node's parent is the Domlette node that represents the foo
element.  Its sole child is the text node mentioned above.

> Based on your answers to these questions I may have one or two more.

I have to head out in a bit, so other answers will probably have to wait until
evening.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think11.html