   XMLSpy 4.4 and use of URN: (was RE: [xml-dev] URIs harmful (was RE: [xml

Hi Tom. I tried to reproduce your results without success.

Given your files below, both XMLSpy 4.4 and XSV 1.4
produce errors, and I think this is correct.

Your instance document associates the prefix xlink with
urn:www.w3.org/1999/xlink, yet your schema associates
xink with http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink. The XMLSpy
error message is saying that its looking for an href
attribute in the http:... namespace but didn't find one,
as the one in the instance is associated with urn:...

XSV complains similarly, and also says that the attribute
it did find is invalid.

If I take your files and change all references
to http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink in the schemas  to
urn:..., XMLSpy and XSV validate the
instance file ok.

I'm probably missing something obvious, or have
I misunderstood your concern?

Regards
Michael