   Re: [xml-dev] DNS based URIs that don't imply access method

> At 09:37 AM 7/25/2002 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> >That granted, when actual programmers sit down to write actual code that
> >deals with actual namespace-labeled markup, the implementions are
> >straightforward and interoperate well, I have yet to hear a *single* story
> >of an actual implementation problem caused by the URIness of namespace names.
>
> I think you must encounter a different group of "actual programmers" than I do.
>
> For a brief description of the kinds of problems I've heard in the field
> (at conferences and an ACM tutorial), see:
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200207/msg00965.html

From my POV, Tim's point comes out unscathed.

To the extent that I understand your three candidates for interop
problems (and I think I only vaguely understand them), I don't see how any of
them are code-level implementation problems.  I also haven't really seen such
problems in practice, though I must admit that the various Python XML
developers are a relatively close bunch and misunderstandings get hashed out
rapidly.

I must say that, having implemented many technologies that use XMLNS: DOM,
SAX2, XPath, XSLT, XLink, RDF, etc.  I haven't run into any implementation
problems deriving from the basic URI-ness of namespaces.  I have run into
implementation problems based on the interpretation of XMLNS: DOM and RDF
being the glaring examples.  But this is a different class of problems and I
can imagine their having occurred if somethign other than URI were used for
NSRefs.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC