   RE: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question (was Re: [xml-dev] URIs and Names on t

One question I did have while reading the 257 mails on this subject was
based on yoour example.
I was thinking, with http, your agent knows that it is to retrieve a
document - simple and easy.

What does it *do* when it finds a URN? (sllightly different slant on the
"how do we define it in the first place discussions").

In your case, it returned URL resources ... I started to think (based on
some other examples in previous emails) that the general case will be to
get a URL for a URN.. In one case the ISBN URN would return a URL
gettable document.

Of course this won't always be the case. What would URN:car do? I would
guess not a lot, but how would we know when it does and doesn't return a
pointer to something physical? ISBN might return a URL, but it also
represents non-url things - i.e. a physical book.

I am working on something just now that is starting to bring up a lot of
questions like this.
The easy way to go about it is to just say it is an identifier of
something - plain and simple. But I get the feeling they can be a lot
more useful than that.

Cheers,
Steven