   Re: [xml-dev] Partitioning?

Hi Didier,

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Hi
>

> Does anyone built or is using a server able to partition the XSLT
> transformation process either on the server side or on the client
> side. In other words, if the client support XSLT, then the server
> sends the XML document with the stylesheet link included in the
> document (the client performs the transformation). Otherwise, if the
> client does not support XSLT, the transformation occurs on the server
> side (the server performs the transformation).

FYI, this is a basic feature of Charlie architecture we develop for more
than two years. What is called Charlie engine can run either on the
server or the client side and can communicate with application servers
or other Charlie engines. Charlie engine includes JavaScript
interpreter, Sablotron XSLT processor (developed for purposes of this
project originally) and Perl libraries. On the client side, we have
experimented with Charlie engine appended to Mozilla (through a local
CGI interface called Protozilla). On the server side, it works as a
mod_perl handler for Apache.

> Other question. Does anyone have build or is using an XSLT engine able
> to stand as a reverse proxy. Is this reverse proxy having the
> capabilities mentioned above.

As Charlie can act as both http server and client, the proxy scenario
has been supposed to be a common one from the beginning. However, all
production sites based on Charlie employ it on the server side so far;
in the same manner as common XML-based application frameworks. We make
use of Charlie's proxy-like capabilities in some cases, but we haven't a
real-world client application yet.

You can look at http://www.gingerall.org/charlie/ga/xml/p_ch.xml for
more details if you want. Charlie is an Open Source software available
under the MPL.

Cheers,
Petr

--