   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete

> Simon St.Laurent scripsit:
>
> > Developers who follow my suggestion should be extremely unlikely to
> > create the brain-dead <x:foo bar="junk" x:bar="junque"> or even <x:foo
> > x:bar="junk">, thereby averting the continued creation of a larger mess.
>
> Note that RDF *demands* that attributes be namespaced; the control ones
> like id, about, resource *must* belong to the RDF namespace, and the
> others that represent actual RDF properties (an optional use, you can
> use elements instead) *must* belong to a namespace other than the RDF one.

It's not to late to fix RDF in this area.  It is still WD.  I tend to think
that too many of the folks on the RDF WGs are ambivalent towards XML itself
(Jonathan Borden is a counter-example, of course), and thus make architectural
decisions such as the  <rdf:Description rdf:about="foo"/> which go against the
spirit of XML.  I've done my own futile complaining about this, but I hope
others moving to RDF from the XML perspective back me up and help get this
sorted out.  After all, the new RDF decision itself invalidates a *lot* of RDF
code out there that uses <rdf:Description about="foo"/>.  I'm certainly not
about to change 4Suite to enforce the new rules.

> So please don't make general-purpose XML tools that outlaw namespaced
> attributes!

I don't think this is Simon's intent at all.  There should still be the
ability to use "global" attributes.  I think their status is and has always
been clear.  The discussion is more about unprefixed attributes, which I think
should have the namespace of their element.  Simon doesn't go quite that far:
he mostly just wants to suppress <x:foo bar x:bar/> (and quite rightly so),
and give processing apps the ability to report unprefixed attrs as having
their element's namespace.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC