   Re: [xml-dev] HTML and XML data parsing

> Hello all,
> I am new to the list, and fairly new to XML.  I am implementing an I-Planet
> portal using RDF files.  I parse the files and render each channel with a
> specific xsl file.  I have a need to put a large html block in between xml
> tags, but when I parse the xml the "<" and ">" tags get changed to the
> escaped version.  How do I make this area not do this?

This si not a direct response to your question, but I wanted to point out a
variant approach I use.  I use Wiki text within RDF tags that contain markup,
not HTML.  Therefor, instead of

<rdf:Description>
  <x:body rdf:parseType="Literal">
  <h1>Nde ewo</h1>
  <pre></code>
spam = eggs - 1
  </code></pre>
  </x:body>
</rdf:Description>

I use

<rdf:Description>
  <x:body>
=Nde ewo=
[Ihe a|http://4Suite.org] di iche
  spam = eggs - 1
</rdf:Description>

Much less error-prone, much easier to edit and much more amenable to
diff-based version control.  It also helps that it avoids the poorly-specified
parseType=Literal.

I wrote a small extension element for 4XSLT for rendering this to HTML during
transforms.

I use this technique very successfully to maintain my "Akara" documentation
collation projects for Python/XML programming:

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/pyxml/
http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/4suite/

Each one is completely specified as a big RDF file, and is rendered
dynamically at request time.  Takes very little XSLT and very little Python.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC