   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)

> > Our alternate rule is just as simple:
> >
> > Attributes in the same namespace as their element are local.
> > Attributes in a different namespace are global.
>
> Sorry that rule isn't as good.
>
> xlink attributes are in a namespace so I expect them to be global and can be
> used more or less anywhere. If xlink also had elements (as I think it
> did at one time) then I wouldn't want the interpretation of the xlink
> attributes to change just because they had suddenly become local if used
> on an xlink element.
>
> If the html namespace had a src attribute I would expect to use
> html:src anywhere. Currently it doesn't, so there is no such global
> attribute. If the unprefixed src attribute is in the html namespace
> your rule above tells me that it is local while on an html element but
> says nothing about whether it can be used as a global attribute as well.

Maybe you'll have to actually come up with an example before I follow you.
Both your "examples" have huge holes in them which you yourself admit.

Reading around your examples to your prose I still do not get your point.  If
we have:

<x:spam eggs/>

and

<x:spam x:eggs/>

Then according to the rule we're proposing, nothing significant about the attribute has changed at all.  The namespace, which is the important matter, is the same.

The distinction between local and global attributes is only a way to get at the important information i.e. what is the namespace of the attr.  The fact that it's a local or global attr is just an intermediate step in the algorithm, and relevant to neither processing nor semantics.  Can you illustrate otherwise?

Again, this is the norm in most scoped systems.

BTW, I think you fundamentally misunderstand XLink.  It's an architecture, which is why they made the right decision not to use elements.  The fact that an errant intermediate draft used elements has no more bearing on this discussion than the fact that Namespaces used to use unscoped Processing Instructions.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF - http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC