   RE: [xml-dev] Trust

[W. E. Perry wrote on Thu 8/1/2002 12:35 PM EDT]

> For an entirely different (and quite pessimistic) conclusion from the same
> premises, you might take a look at my article
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/29/perry.html.

Gee, I thought my answer was pessimistic, but not quite as much as that
expressed in your article.  Actually, your article does a nice job of
revealing the dark side of automation and taking experts "out of the loop".
I would add that SDVs would be an impetus for other systems to be "dumbed
down", even though they do not depend directly upon an SDV themselves.  The
automation of auditor's worksheets would be an example of this.  Once
automated, what is to stop the accounting firm from auditing a
batch-oriented company with forms designed to audit continuous-process goods
companies, opening up a channel for creative writing?  This would be one way
to cook the books through the subsequent use of XBRL, even if the XBRL
documents themselves were electronically signed and securely encrypted.

Regards,
Ralph