   Global/Local attributes

> > > Then according to the rule we're proposing, nothing significant about
> > > the attribute has changed at all.  The namespace, which is the
> > > important matter, is the same.
> >
> > so now I'm confused. It seems to me you are proposing that in the
> > first, unprefixed, case the namespace of the attribute would be (or
> > could be considered as) the namespace of the element (associated with
> > the prefix x:) which is not the same as the current interpretation.
>
> You managed to spread your confusion to me, it seems.  By "the current
> interpretation", do you mean XML Namespaces 1.0?

Wait a minute.  I think (hope) the source of confusion just occurred to me.

I have used the term "global" in two ways in this thread.  At first I was
using it according to its current definition in XMLNS 1.0.  When we started to
discuss an alternative interpretation of unprefixed attributes, my use of the
term actually changed to match my preference for the alternative.  Rather than
using "global" to mean any prefixed attribute, I started using "global" to
mean any attribute outside the namespace of its parent.

If so, my fault.  It should have occurred to me that this would sow confusion.
 I'll try to be careful to use the term "foreign attributes" to mean
attributes in foreign namespace.  Of course, this puts me at a slight
disadvantage because one of my points has been that treating unprefixed attrs
as being in their parents' namespace would actually lead to a more logical
following of the normal use of the term "global" in discussions of technical
scoping.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC