   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the

[John Cowan]

> Bah.  The default namespace is a mere syntactic minimization; it allows
> us to pick any one prefix and eliminate it from the syntax.  At the
> Infoset level, prefixes are supplied because of the possible presence
> of QNames in character data, but they aren't *meaningful*.

I think of the default namespace a little differently.  Imagine that you
have a perfectly good xml document, or schema, and now for some perfectly
good reason you want it to have a namespace.  It would be very annoying and
tiresome to go back and apply a namespace prefix to each element, and that
would be likely to break most procesing software that used to work.

So the default namespace allows you to convert a document to having a
namespace with minimal pain and breakage.  If you look at it that way, it is
a means for handling legacy markup, and no one has to use it for new work.

Cheers,

Tom P