   RE: [xml-dev] Order to the madness (Default namespaces are *evil*!)

This is what my commonsense tells me would work:

1) All qualified names (element or attribute) must be prefixed

2) Unqualified names are in no namespace

3) All namespace declarations are on the document root
	3a) a prefix has one, and only one, namespace associated with it in
document scope

4) In cases where two or more documents are to be merged,
	a) if there is a prefix collision,  the prefix that first appears in
the merged document
	would take precedence, and the subsequent same-named prefix would be
permuted
	through the remainder of the document.
	b) the permutation of the secondary prefix identifier(s) would be
standardized

5)  A namespace URI reference identifier would be of a format that is
syntactically correct but
guaranteed to be functionally void.
	5a) A mechanism would be introduced that allows association of  a
namespace identifier
	with a functional URI(s) or other resource. Only through that
mechanism would any
	useful tie-in to a resource through a namespace id be allowed.
	5b) All proposed Recommendations would minimize, to the extent
possible, dependencies
	on the above mechanism being operable in all environments.

Please excuse if all this has been shot down somewhere in the last 7,000
messages on URI's. My reading time is limited.