   RE: [xml-dev] constructive (was RE: [xml-dev] Markup perspective not co

At 08:39 AM 8/4/2002 -0400, Didier PH Martin wrote:
>You know its easy to say, they are wrong when in fact we (and mostly the
>W3 organization) created the situation. Its probably time to take some
>responsibility of the consequences of the XML community actions and ways
>of thinking. I know its not popular to say that :-)

I'm not sure why creating XML "created the situation".  Before XML,
developers had to think about how to exchange and store their information,
and after XML, developers still have to think about how to exchange and
store their information.

The only thing that's changed is a common syntax (now markup) for some of
that information.  I don't see how that creates a responsibility for markup
to do the rest of a job that properly belong with developers close to the
specific tasks that need to be solved.

Perhaps in the enthusiasm about solving one problem (syntax) some folks
thought that they weren't going to have to work anymore, but I don't think
that's a problem for XML.  Instead, by attempting to solve all these
developer problems, something you apparently want to continue doing, we've
added all kinds of new problems to XML (and the W3C's use of "XML" in spec
names adds to the perception that XML itself has the problems.)

It's time to stop solving developers' problems generically, and let them
solve the problems themselves building from only a basic syntactic
framework - if and only if the framework is appropriate to their
problem.  XML is not a magic wonder-glue for programming.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue