   RE: [xml-dev] maps

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> How does RELAX NG provide a mechanism for specifying operations on these
> datatypes? It would be easy enough to specify the lexical form of
> longitudes and latitudes then place them in a publically accessible XSD
> file but it would be useless since there would be no language for
> specifying value space relationships in the schema.
>
>  For instance how would one specify what the semantics of maxInclusive,
> minExclusive, maxExclusive, minInclusive, etc should be?
>
>  If RELAX NG can do this I'd love to see a sample RELAX NG file that
> does this. Can you provide one?

No, I can't; I appear to have ascribed to Relax NG powers beyond those of
mortal validators.

Looking at the code for MSV, I see that the XSD library is written so that
datatypes that need comparison implement an interface named Comparator;
whether such a thing would be possible to add to the API for a custom
datatype library, and whether that would solve the problem is beyond my
programming expertise.  That would be a question for a Relax NG
implementer to answer.

--
J. David Eisenberg  http://catcode.com/