   RE: [xml-dev] relying on ordering of sibling XML elements

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] relying on ordering of sibling XML elements
  • From: Glen Mazza <glenmazza@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 01:33:56 -0500 (CDT)

> Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
>
> XML is absolutely ordered. You're free to ignore
> that order, but
> parsers must and do preserve it. People who assume
> order doesn't
> matter tend to to be thinking too hard about
> record-like structures
> and forgetting completely about XML's original
> use-case of
> narrative-like structures.
> --

Not only records--for me, I was leery of using the
ordering of sibling elements because I was thinking of
an XML document in its tree/node representation.  In
this form, nodes with a common parent really don't
have an order with respect to each other--so I was
concerned parsers might lose the ordering.

But Richard showed where the XML Infoset specs say
that elements actually are ordered.  And since parsers
must preserve the ordering, my "unofficial" reliance
on ordering can now be made official!

Thanks,
Glen