   RE: [xml-dev] Re: maps

At 09:34 PM 8/4/2002 -0700, Micah Dubinko wrote:
>An unpopular (but possible with current technology) answer is that the ° and
>' and " and even N|S|E|W stuff is window dressing, and that the actual value
>is just a number:
>
><zoo>
>   <name>Utica Zoo</name>
>   <lat>75.25</lat>
>   <long>43.08333333333333</long>
></zoo>

No, that's not an acceptable answer.  Part of the reason for using XML at
all is the possibility and even probability that humans will be playing
with these files directly and/or writing software, and preserving the
idioms they use is critical.

Reductionism may be wonderful for computers, but it's not very useful for
the rest of us. At least in theory, XML is supposed to provide a middle
ground between human and machine-readable.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue