   RE: [xml-dev] Keeping ISO 8879 Alive (was RE: [xml-dev] Markup pe rspect

I voted in the last American presidential election.
Even with the popular vote choosing otherwise, I got a President chosen by
the Supreme Court because our system for choosing by indirect
representation fails when the count is so even as to fall
into statistical noise.  Now the world gets to live with that
and the authority has a lot of clout.  Am I nervous?  Yes.

SGML loyalists may not be pointing to a better authority.
They are saying that a higher authority may be needed.  The
critical aspect is the polity.   One can say that the American
Supreme Court didn't choose well, but not that in that situation,
by design, they were the highest authority available.

That doesn't stop me from being nervous.  Nerves are relative
to risks of the consequences of bad choices.  Plugging an
American razor into a European plug without an adapter has
risks I am told, but passing a Looney south of the Falls
is plain wrong.

len