-----Original Message-----
From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]

Absolutely!  But don't think ranting will do the trick.  James Clark outlined
the problems with blessed types in his XML 2001 keynote.  I've railed against
them and wished for more generic facilities for constraint expression rather
than a monolithic type-library-by-committee.  I used irrational numbers as my
example, picking a purposefully tricky case.  Simon has brought up the more
practical geospatial example.  But the folks who could clean up this mess
mostly just take in all the warnings and blithely respond "sorry we had to
satisfy OO and relational data type needs from our chartered requirements".

And so the Titanic lumbers on.  Nought but the iceberg itself will alter its
course.