   RE: [xml-dev] constructive (was RE: [xml-dev] Markup perspective not c

Hi Didier:

Polarities are not solved; they are managed, that is,
resolved for a given context and reexamined if reinvoked.
Tools that do specific tasks well are good for managing
the polarities natural to the domain.

All most of us want is for XML 1.0, the Core, to stop
at syntax. IMO, that way layering over it can be a matter
of choosing among different combinations that can themselves
over time and with proof of effective application, become
system profiles.

The DOM is ok.  It manifests as a database (usually local)
with a tree-sorta structure that is good for operations where
one needs the whole tree in memory, and can stand the
overhead.  Some say it is a pig, but that is the
Shallow Hal attitude.  Big thighs are beautiful too
given perspective.   If one needs speed and svelte,
there is SAX and the choice of the high maintenance
companion:  fast and to the point, but make sure one
knows about state management and gets a pre-nuptial.

len

From: Didier PH Martin [mailto:martind@netfolder.com]

Hi Len

Simon said:
Stop at the parser.  Let communities with needs beyond the parser build
their own toolsets, and _don't call it XML_.

Len said:
Call them XML applications and XML systems.

Didier replies:
Exactly. An XML document stand alone is:
a) a dead piece of information/knowledge if not
	a.1) use by a machine for some process
	a.2) used by a living organism to get some information/knowledge
b) a useful piece of information/knowledge if:
	b.1) used by a machine for some process
	b.2) used by a living organism to get some information/knowledge

I think that we should pursuit the goal to have programs processing XML
document to be as readable as possible (see all references in Software
psychology - for neophytes just do a google research with software
psychology in it and you'll probably end up with several documents form
Ben Schnederman). Obviously, XML document should be also as readable as
possible.

Len, from my observations I discovered that today the positions are
polarized around two poles:
a) an XML document as an open and readable document and the programs
used to process it as a black box and mostly messy and barely readable.
b) XML as a black box and mostly messy and barely readable and readable
programs (but not necessarily open).

The value of the whole chain can be corrupted by one of its links.

My point is to go beyond these two poles and try to make both the
programs and the XML documents readable. I won't say that as Mike called
it that the DOM is a space suit but more as a 19 century diving suit. It
was good at the time taking into account the maturity of XML and the
knowledge people got about it. Now, its time to move to space suits and
go beyond the DOM.