   Re: [xml-dev] CDATA strangeness

Ramin Firoozye scripsit:

> If you pass this through the tidy/xerces-C combo, the parser complains that
> it expects to see a CDATA section start around the '<![if' section. I
> thought a CDATA section *had* to start with '<![CDATA[' and plain '<!['
> should be ignored.

A CDATA section does have to start with "<![CDATA[", but "<" isn't allowed
to appear as such in character content; it has to be "&lt;" or equivalent.
So a parser seeing "<![if" has to generate a fatal error, and it's perfectly
reasonable to complain about a malformed CDATA section, seeing that that's
the only legal usage of "<![" in character content.

> Who's right and who's wrong here? The web-site or tidy/xerces?

The web site.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I am surrounded by dwarves."