   RE: [xml-dev] Reality check needed ....

> "By standardizing information indexing and retrieval on an
> open standard ? XML, or extensible
> markup language ? the next-generation Windows promises to
> make a hard drive and network as easily
> searchable as the Internet."
>
> This smells a bit like the crack I was smoking in about 1997
> :-) [take that,
> e-mail filtering software and humor-impaired gummint spy
> types] Unfortunately, it turns out that
> XML-based queries aren't magic UNLESS there is a certain
> amount of predictable structure to the
> markup, otherwise you're just doing a full-text search.

I suspect they are saying that adding metadata to the file system will
make it more easily searchable, which is fairly obviously true. Anything
that sees the end of the three-character file extension must be a step
forward. Doing it with XML is handy but largely irrelevant. The
openness, if anything, will come from supporting WebDAV access.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com