   XML stylesheet web service

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: XML stylesheet web service
  • From: "Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer" <schnitz@mozquito.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:41:05 +0200

I'm currently doing some research, and it struck me that
web services today are primarily about applying
local/personal stylesheets and application logic to
foreign/remote XML data sources (ie. doing my own
Amazon.com front-end).

The other way around would be very promising: I could
reference a foreign/remote stylesheet on to my
personal/local XML data.

One could focus on the data and rely on some existing
service for styling and application logic, at least for testing
and educational purposes for now.

This new default stylesheet for XML would render my
XML document regardless of its structure:
- as a web document (like HTML, using XML+CSS)
- as a printable document (thru XSL-FO)
- as an app (thru XForms allowing to modify the instance)
- as its source (perhaps a better view-source than what
e.g. IE does now).
- other stylesheet technologies...
... while making sure it works with a large number of
viewers.

This should in the end become something similar in concept
to the http://validator.w3.org web service, not for validating,
but for generic styling in all possible directions. Adding some
profiling mechanism would be nice, so users could specify
on a referrer basis what combination of stylesheet technologies
to apply to a certain class of XML files.

Anything pre-existing in this direction? If you would like to
help set this up quickly, let me know...

- Sebastian