   Re: [xml-dev] Re: maps

> Bob Hutchison wrote:
> [[
>
> I'll try again.
>
> The idiom is 75°15'00" N 43°05'00" W

> Apparently the former is OK but the later is not.
>
> Why?
>
> ]]
>
> The point of this thread is totally lost on me.
>
> I'd say that a good way to represent coordinates in XML would be:
>
> <map.coordinate>
>  <north>
>     <deg>75</deg>
>     <min>15</min>
>     <arc>00</arc>
>  </north>
>  <west>
>     <deg>45</deg>
>     <min>05</min>
>     <arc>00</arc>
>  </west>
> </map.cooordinate>
>
> (or whatever the names of the elements should be).
>
> This way to structure the XML is:
>
> 1) structured
> 2) structured
> 3) easily parsable
> 4) the _numbers_ are represented as values, the _units_ belong to the
> element _type_ i.e. the element name.

This may be better for you.  It's not necessarily better for everyone.

But I'm suspicious.  Let me ask you this:

Do you really always mark up dates as

<date>
  <year>2002</year>
  <month>08</month>
  <day>06</day>
</date>

If you do (which would amaze me) do you think this is the way everyone should
do it?  What's the problem with 2002-08-06, which doesn't meet your 3 criteria
above.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC