   Re: [xml-dev] Tags and Types (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: maps)

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

[[

> I think that Simon's "regular fragmentations" is a perfect fit here. An
> author might quickly type something in which can be 'expanded' into a
> structure given a regular expression. Voila' ... best of both worlds.

Reg frags are nice to have for moving from one local convention to another,
bu
they are *not* a valid excuse for suppressing natural expression.  A reg
frag
is a transformation, pretty much like XSLT, but more specialized.  You seem
also to be fallign into the camp of "as long as it can be transformed, who
cares what form of markup is used"?
]]

So you are accusing me of both suppressing natural expression _and_ being in
the camp of "as long as it can be transformed, who cares what form of markup
is used"?  You are a hard man to please.

[[
This seems very data-centric and not
document-centric, and completely ignores that authoring and clarity of the
format itself are as important as rendering.
]]

I beg to differ.

What I _am_ saying is that as long as there is a transformation, then there
is a logical relationship between the two formats. If there are
bidirectional transformations then the two formats are equivalent _with
respect to that transform_. When we have logically equivalent lexical
representations for a particular value (read: when the lexical spaces both
map to the same value space) then _other issues_ such as appropriateness for
a particular set of authors, users, human vs. machine readability etc. guide
the choices we might make for a given application.

So yes, as long as it can be transformed ... to the extent that such a
transform provides a logical equivalence i.e. that we are talking about the
same value with different lexical representations ... then I am in the camp
that folks should choose whatever they prefer ** understanding that certain
types of software, renderers, and a host of unpredicable issues will guide
which lexical representation is appropriate for which application. More
succinctly: I don't care :-)

Jonathan