   Re: [xml-dev] Tags and Types (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: maps)

Joe English wrote:

> Jonathan Borden wrote:
>
> > Different formats each have their advantages. The clear advantage of
> > explicit tags, is that the meaning is less ambiguous. e.g.
> >
> > <date>
> >     <day>02</day>
> >     <month>02</month>
> >     <year>01</year>
> > </date>
> >
> > vs.
> >
> > "02-02-01"
>
> In the first example, did you mean 1 CE or 2001 CE?
> If the former, under which calendar should the day
> and month be interpreted?

I've not specified, but that isn't needed. The former example is tagged, and
so the "01" may easily be interpreted with respect to the <year> element,
and its associated semantics (for example a schema might tell us, or a
namespace name might reference something like

added</p></div>

> Sorry, I really don't see any decrease in ambiguity
> in the first form.

Ambiguity is _decreased_ not eliminated because aside from which year we are
talking about we know which lexical value is intended to represent _some
year_ as opposed to _some day_.

If it didn't reduce ambiguity _some_ then there would hardly be a need for
XML, or SGML for that matter.

Jonathan