   What will happen to DOCTYPE?

I've always considered the DOCTYPE declaration being part of the DTD
syntax. Now, when many have pointed out that DTDs do both less and more
than they should do, and better schema languages are invented, I wonder
what will happen to the DOCTYPE tag?

Even if it's not the case technically, I think there are some conceptual
overlapping between the "xmlns" attribute and DOCTYPE. It would be good for
simplicity if they could be merged into one, one day. Moreover, catalog
files must return! Whatever happens to DOCTYPE, I really hope there will be
an equivalent for PUBLIC.

Gustaf