   RE: [xml-dev] Deterministic content models???

>John Cowan scripsit:

> > <!ENTITY % paracontent "(%text; | %list; | (table , tabnote*) |
figure)+" >

> > This works fine in SGML.  XML does not like it.  For XML versions of the
> > DTD, we had to take the parens out and change the , to |.

> I am willing to bet that "%text;" expands to some choice of elements and
> #PCDATA, and XML can only cope with #PCDATA in the very limited frame
> "(#PCDATA | element1 | element2 ...)", no extra parens or commas allowed.

Exactly.  But I can see where someone with an SGML DTD background (like me,
for instance) might initially try use this construct out of habit in an XML
DTD -- until of course it fails to validate in XML and requires debugging.
:)

Doug Rudder		drudder@drugfacts.com